Who is JSN?
A dreamer chasing experiences that create joy, gratitude and wisdom. An explorer, yet passionate lover of home. A mom who hopes through travel, her children will gain an unquenchable thirst for adventure, empathy for all things big and small, and the confidence to one day, venture independently. A wildlife lover and advocate. Another soul on a happiness mission.
Currently involved in a deep love affair with Canada and working to encourage others to play in their own back yard.
A little about my professional journey.
I’m a trained artist who has spent the past 20+ years in marketing, communications, social and media relations roles. On top of furthering my education in each of these areas, I have a ton of practical experience from developing strategy and creating marketing materials to complex multi-media campaigns.
The last decade I’ve worked as an editor and concentrated more heavily on freelance travel writing and photography, content creation and workshops. In April 2019, my first book, 110 Nature Hot Spots in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, co-authored with Doug O’Neill, was released.
Who have I written for?
I’m a multiple award winning freelance travel writer and photographer who has been published in four countries and in four languages! I’ve contributed hundreds of articles to 25+ outlets. My work has appeared in the Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, Canadian Geographic, Explore Magazine, Best Health Magazine, Nuvo, VIA Rail Blog, Just for Canadian Doctors/Dentists, Birdwatching Daily, A Birder’s Guide to Travel, Mountain Life Annual, Ensemble Vacations, Skyscanner, South China Morning Post, My Spotlight Kanada/USA, Skycanner.ca/.com, Parents Canada, Westworld, Chatelaine and more.
I also appear regularly as a travel expert on CBC Saskatchewan’s The Morning Edition (radio) and Global News Morning Regina (TV).
I’ve had the great fortune to collaborate with a few esteemed travel colleagues in a couple of different ways:
- Doug O’Neill, co-author: 110 Nature Hot Spots in Manitoba and Saskatchewan(co-author)
- Glen Harris, photographer: A Spirit of Place: Torngat Mountains National Park(writer)
- Amy Rosen, writer: Diners, Slow Plows and Dives(photographer)
- Tim Johnson, writer: Home on the Water – Houseboating through Ontario’s Stunning Kawartha Lakes(photographer)
Who have I created content for?
- Tourism Saskatoon– Video campaigns – #Saskatooning: Learning latte art at Venn Coffee Roastersand #Saskatooning at the University of Saskatchewan’s (free) Sculpture Garden
- Expedia blog partnership – Nature Close-Ups with Island Adventures in Victoria (editorial)
- Tourism Calgaryvideo campaign – 48 Hours in Calgary
- Parks Canada – blog articles
- The Great Trail– Blog Contributor
- World Gymnastics Championships– Blog campaign: Countdown to Montreal (World Canadian Gymnastics Championships)
- Medicine Hat Tourismand Globe & Mailadvertorials
- HelloBC– Instagram photography and content
- Tourism Regina – ‘Hang with the Locals’ blog(Started, wrote and edited)
- Social accounts for Travel Media Association of Canada, Tourism Regina, SaskCentral and Bare Envy Laser Treatment Centre
Workshops and Professional Development Session
Public speaking is pretty new to me beyond morning television, however I’m often asked to present and/or create workshops/professional development sessions. I’ve been dabbling as of late.
2019 – Break into the travel market: 2-hour workshop, Saskatchewan Writer’s Guild
2018 – How to get onto morning television– PD session, Travel Media Association of Canada Annual Conference
Professional associations include media accredited memberships with the Travel Media Association of Canada, the North American Travel Journalists Association, the Adventure Travel Trade Association and formerly with the Society for American Travel Writers.
Want to work together?
Consider hiring me if you need help with:
- Travel writing/photography
- Brand campaigns
- Copy editing or proofreading
- Freelance writing or blogging
- Social media, communications or marketing strategy development
- Art direction
- Brand development
- Resume writing
For information on my rates, questions about your projects or needs, email me at [email protected]. I am also happy to provide references.