Have you ever brought fish home from your travels? I wasn’t sure about taking walleye home that was caught this summer at the Women in the Wilderness getaway I attended. After all, I shared a few smooches here and there with some pretty sweet little fish and when it comes down to it, I hate seeing living things die.
This issue of mine aside I caved and brought four large fillets home. Walleye is a great tasting fish and I knew that I would enjoy it. However, due to an extreme gluten sensitivity in the household, I had to swap out a flake based ingredient (usually bread crumbs) with a gluten-free option. Here is the recipe that I used to create a crispy, flaky walleye dish! The ingredients:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dry gluten-free Rice Bread Crumbs (I used the PaneRiso brand)
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 (4-6 ounce) fillets walleye
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet. (Or tinfoil lined baking sheet if you must!)
- Beat the eggs in a bowl until smooth; set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine (and stir until evenly mixed) the rice bread crumbs, potato flakes, Parmesan cheese and seasoned salt.
- Dip walleye fillets into the egg and then press into the bread crumb mixture.
- Place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the fish flakes easily with a fork – about 15 to 20 minutes.
The result was good – it didn’t feel like we were missing out at all by omitting gluten. So good in fact that we all dug right in and I missed the opportunity to take an ‘after’ photo! Have a gluten free walleye (or any other fish) recipe of your own to share?